This series of questions may help you determine if you are a compulsive eater. Many OA members have found that they answered yes to many of these questions.
1. Do you eat when you’re not hungry?
2. Do you go on eating binges for no apparent reason?
3. Do you have feelings of guilt and remorse after overeating?
4. Do you give too much time and thought to food?
5. Do you look forward with pleasure and anticipation to the time when you can eat alone?
6. Do you plan these secret binges ahead of time?
7. Do you eat sensibly before others and make up for it alone?
8. Is your weight affecting the way you live your life?
9. Have you tried to diet for a week (or longer), only to fall short of your goal?
10. Do you resent others telling you to “use a little willpower” to stop overeating?
11. Despite evidence to the contrary, have you continued to assert that you can diet “on your own” whenever you wish?
12. Do you crave to eat at a definite time, day or night, other than mealtime?
13. Do you eat to escape from worries or trouble?
14. Have you ever been treated for obesity or a food-related condition?
15. Does your eating behavior make others unhappy?
Excerpts from– “Is Food a problem for you” pamphlet. ** Overeaters Anonymous ® World Service Office 6075 Zenith Court NE, Rio Rancho, NM 87144-6424 USA. Mail Address: PO Box 44020, Rio Rancho, NM 87174-4020 USA Tel: 1-505-891-2664 • Fax: 1-505-891-4320; Email: email@example.com • www.oa.org; OA Board-approved. ©2008 Overeaters Anonymous, Inc. All rights reserved. 750
Next: Diet vs Abstinence